“Why are wives commanded to submit to their husbands?”
This is an understandable question when people first learn Scripture commands wives to submit to their husbands. Watch the short video of Katie and I discussing the answer and/or read the transcript below…
Wives are commanded to submit because it’s necessary
We see the clear need for submission in all other areas of life. No organization can be successful without authority or headship:
- Businesses have CEOs.
- Sports teams have coaches.
- Governments have presidents or prime ministers.
Just as we recognize the need for a leader, or a head, we also recognize that there cannot be two heads. We don’t see two head coaches, two presidents, two head pilots, or two head surgeons. Imagine how uncomfortable you would feel:
- Flying on a plane with two head pilots arguing over the flight plan
- Being operated on by two head surgeons quarreling over the proper procedure
Instead we always see a:
- Head coach and an assistant coach
- President and a vice-president
- Pilot and a co-pilot
- Principal and an assistant principal